The festive Christmas season may seem to have closed out on December 25, but many of us forget that Christmas Day is only the first of the "twelve days of Christmas." If you had great plans for sharing gifts of homemade goodies but got behind in your efforts, this weekend still provides time to get some things made and shared within that 12 day timeline.
Basic Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, with Variations
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1/4 c water
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 t soda
3 c quick oatmeal (not instant)
flat chocolate candies
1. Cream the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla together, until very light and fluffy.
2. Add the cocoa and water and stir until well-blended.
3. Sift the flour and soda together and to the creamed mixture. Stir in the oatmeal.
4. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a well-oiled baking sheet, about an inch or two apart.
5. Place a chocolate candy on each cookie, pressing lightly to an
chor the candy.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 9 to 10 minutes--do not overbake.
Stir 3/4 c semisweet chocolate chips into the batter with the oatmeal. Omit the chocolate candies on top.
Substitute M&Ms, chocolate kisses, or other candies for the flat chocolates on top of the cookies.
Stir 1 c finely apples into the batter with the oatmeal.
Substitute 1/2 c oil for 1/2 c of the butter. Reduce water to 2 T.